Skip to main content

My labour story ..

It’s a long one so settle in ... 


6.30pm on Sunday 10th March I got the call from the hospital they were ready for my - oh my f**king lord!! It was actually happening!!


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1AAjptGQ0JqEIwYnVJGV-1VqiMQh9kxDw


After been told on the 8th March I would be going to full term my world was flipped upside down on the 9th when my consultant declared I needed to be induced ASAP. I turned 37 weeks pregnant on the Sunday so she booked me in straight away. 


Though I had a relatively easy pregnancy externally (no sickness or major body strain until week 32/33) internally was a different story. I was diagnosed with low PAP A early on, basically this is a condition that can cause the placenta to stop functioning as well in the 3rd trimester leading to low birth weight and in some cases worse. I also had the threat of pre eclampsia as it ran in my immediate family. Throughout my 3rd trimester my blood pressure and bmi soared making it safer for me to be induced early. 


I arrived at hospital and cried, I was so overwhelmed at the thought I would leave the hospital a different person entirely, I would be a mum! 


As I was already dilated I didn’t need the extra fuss of a pessary (which is essentially a special tampon that helps ripen the cervix,  vom) I was told at 8am on Monday 11th March I would be on my way to having my boy! 

As my husband and mum arrived to help me through this mammoth task that is labour I remained calm.


Gas and air was my best friend for the first hour as the midwife and doctors tried to break my water in the end I had to have a clip put on little Henry’s head to monitor him throughout. 


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1g47Wc2HOsbCBLOPHWy0Q3viNoVPGVmTO



My first 2 contractions after this happened naturally then they introduced the drip.... holy mother contraction number 3 nearly knocked me over! Pain like I have never felt. My initial plan was to go through labour without any intervention of pain relief drugs, boy did my mind change quickly. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1g729N6FB7CbO3m_eEyHOJVqyqJhp4sl9


First I experienced a diamorphine injection which essentially knocked me out for 10 minutes. When I came round the pain was back and I needed to up it a gear. Oh hello EPIDURAL. Mums this is not a crime, you are still a kick ass goddess warrior! This was a game changer for me, it enabled me to peer through the next 13 hours with nothing but love, support and Lucazade sport! 


As well as an epidural wire and my boys head clip I also had to have a cafete fitted. This meant the dream of a labour where I could roam freely was a thing of the past! But I did not care as long as my boy go here safe. 


At 12.10am on Tuesday 12th March I was ready to push. After a scare of Henry’s heart beat dropping with every contraction I knew he needed out. For me pushing only took 20 minutes and he was here, my beautiful baby boy ❤️https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1W7KG80UdHjyOpjeK4Nt0zKG_uq2wm3lc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s in your hospital bag?

We’ve all googled it, I know I did, like 20 times! But below is a list of what I really needed!  **I was in hospital 2.5 days so this might change depending on your birth.** I love this H&M hold-all - bonus only £17.99!! Mummy   wash bag - body wash, shampoo, tooth paste (that first shower  Towel  2 x pairs of PJs or comfy clothes (you might need more depending on the length of your stay) A comfy outfit to travel home in Maternity size sanitary pads - a boat load!!!  Pants - both normal and disposable Maternity bra - no were needed Snacks! - hospital food is bland!  Baby  2/3 baby grows and vests  Mittens, socks and hat  Depending on the weather a cardigan or jacket Blanket - one cosy one lightweight Nappie Formula (I needed it and hospital will not supply) Vaseline or sudacream  Nappy sacks Reusable baby wipes  Extras - we took a message board as a prop for our “first pictures”. You will be offered some photos taken in hospita...

Welcome!

Hello everyone and welcome my Blog! I’m Lillian, aka the Yorkshire mum. I have a beautiful little family and currently growing baby number 2! I have thought about starting a mum blog for a long time as both an outlet for me but also a support network for new and existing mums.  Here at yorkshire mama you will find lots of information and tips I’ve learnt so far along the way. I am by no means claiming to be an expert but I as a first time mum I wanted to document as I navigate parenthood. Now with my second bundle of joy on the way I’m sure there will be lots more I can share with you!  Over the next few posts, as well as my labour story, I am going to share with you the challenges we faced with our first born as well our “big wins”. I also wanted to give you information on all the activities  we have taken part in and how they helped us.  This blog will be an honest and open safe space for parents new and seasoned. Hopefully the things I share will help...